Effective September 1, 2007, the Town of Elgin and certain surrounding unincorporated Urbanized Areas of the County are designated by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) as Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewers (SMS4).  SCDHEC has delegated the responsibility to Kershaw County and the Town of Elgin for permitting monitoring, and regulating discharges into the SMS4. Through an interlocal agreement, Kershaw County has agreed to assume this responsibility on behalf of Elgin. SCDHEC will maintain responsibility for permitting and regulating stormwater activity in the remainder of Kershaw County outside of the SMS4 Urbanized Areas.

Stormwater Ordinances
Kershaw County Stormwater Management Ordinance
Town of Elgin Stormwater Management Ordinance

Stormwater Review Fees
KC_Engineering Fees 2010


SCDHEC Stormwater Management BMP Handbook
SCDHEC General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Large and Small Construction Activities
State of South Carolina Listing of Impaired Waters 
SCDHEC MS4 Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System

Kershaw County Public Works

Submit Stormwater Flooding Complaints Online

To report illegal discharges into or near a storm drain, click here

Post Construction Forms and Applications
Kershaw County Annual Stormwater Pond Inspection Checklist
Kershaw County Permanent Stormwater System Maintenance and Responsibility Agreement Form

MS4 Stormwater Area

MS4 Stormwater Area Map  This link opens in a new window.  At the top of the map, select "Layers", "MS4 Regulated Area"

Twenty-Five Mile Creek Watershed
Twenty-Five Mile Creek Watershed Septic Assistance

If you live in the Twenty-Five Mile Creek Watershed and are having problems with your septic system, click the link above to learn more. 

Transportation Planning
Central Midlands Council of Governments

Helpful Telephone Numbers
Schedule of Engineering Fees

VanPatten, RussCounty EngineerAirport, Engineering(803) 425-7230