Effective September 1, 2007, the Town of Elgin and certain surrounding unincorporated Urbanized Areas of the County are designated by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (SCDHEC) as Small Municipal Separate Storm Sewers (SMS4).  SCDHEC has delegated the responsibility to Kershaw County and the Town of Elgin for permitting monitoring, and regulating discharges into the SMS4. Through an interlocal agreement, Kershaw County has agreed to assume this responsibility on behalf of Elgin. SCDHEC will maintain responsibility for permitting and regulating stormwater activity in the remainder of Kershaw County outside of the SMS4 Urbanized Areas.

Stormwater Ordinances
Kershaw County Stormwater Management Ordinance
Town of Elgin Stormwater Management Ordinance


SCDHEC Stormwater Management BMP Handbook
SCDHEC General Permit for Stormwater Discharges from Large and Small Construction Activities
State of South Carolina Listing of Impaired Waters 
SCDHEC MS4 Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System

Kershaw County Public Works
Submit Stormwater Complaints Online

Post Construction Forms and Applications
Kershaw County Annual Stormwater Pond Inspection Checklist
Kershaw County Permanent Stormwater System Maintenance and Responsibility Agreement Form

MS4 Stormwater Area

MS4 Stormwater Area MapThis link opens in a new window.  At the top of the map, select "Layers", "MS4 Regulated Area"

Twenty-Five Mile Creek Watershed
Twenty-Five Mile Creek Watershed Project

If you are interested in receiving assistance to improve livestock health, forage production and water quality at your farm, click here to learn more. 

Transportation Planning
Central Midlands Council of Governments

Helpful Telephone Numbers
Schedule of Engineering Fees

Stephens, ScottStormwater Inspector Engineering(803) 425-1523 ext. 5399
VanPatten, RussCounty EngineerEngineering(803) 425-7230